Minister Branko Bačić on a regular working visit to Petrinja

  • Photo /slike/Ministar/2025_09_10-image-4.jpg
  • Slika
  • Slika
  • Slika
  • Slika
  • Slika
  • Slika
  • Slika

Today Deputy Prime Minister and Minister Branko Bačić, accompanied by State Secretary Tonči Glavinić and associates, visited Petrinja. During the working visit he had a meeting with Mayor Magdalena Komes and County Prefect Ivan Celjak, he toured newly built replacement houses and eight multiapartment block construction sites, and he visited a family in their new home.

The Minister started the visit by meeting with Mayor Magdalena Komes, County Prefect Ivan Celjak and their associates in order to discuss the reconstruction of buildings damaged by the earthquake in the Petrinja area.

“We addressed all the segments of reconstruction and revitalisation of the city. I share the same sentiment of satisfaction with the mayor and the county prefect - the reconstruction is going well. In the city itself, the reconstruction is completed at nearly 5,000 locations, while in the entire Banovina area, it is completed at 9,500 locations,” Minister Bačić said.

Mayor Magdalena Komes was also pleased with the reconstruction pace.

“Everything that we have achieved so far is a result of joint efforts and good collaboration. The thing that I have emphasised and what has been our goal is achieved - we have managed to keep people in the Petrinja area,” the mayor said. She added that the programmes and housing policies focus on keeping young families in the area and attracting new residents in search of a more peaceful environment.

County Prefect Ivan Celjak pointed out that construction works are carried out across Sisak-Moslavina County, whether they refer to public use buildings, reconstruction of private houses or construction of multiapartment blocks. “We can truly say the works are underway at every turn,” he stated.

Significant increase in Sisak-Moslavina housing stock

During the visit, Minister Bačić toured a newly built replacement state house, which will be used for providing housing care according to the Act on Housing Care in Assisted Areas. The house comprises 70 square meters and forms a part of a project covering the construction of nine family houses in the Petrinja area. He visited the Kukić family, for whom a replacement house of 85 square meters had been built to accommodate their family of five.

The Minister concluded the working visit by touring eight multiapartment block construction sites in Sisačka ulica, under construction by APN. Each building comprises 19 apartments and common areas across four floors, ranging from one-bedroom apartments to four-bedroom apartments - a total of 152 new apartments. The investment is worth approximately 22.5 million euro and the works began on October 1 last year.

“We plan to complete the buildings by late February, which will conclude a construction project of 16 new multiapartment blocks in Petrinja. The apartments are primarily intended for our fellow citizens whose homes have not been completed, and they will later be used for affordable housing,” Minister Bačić said.

The buildings form a part of a wider project aimed at increasing the housing stock in Sisak-Moslavina County, which envisages the construction of 59 new multiapartment blocks comprising 1,024 apartments. The Government of the Republic of Croatia has designated APN as the investor for 36 buildings with 666 apartments on the basis of the Act on Reconstruction of

Earthquake-Damaged Buildings, within which the eight buildings in Petrinja are under construction. The construction of 20 additional buildings is financed from the OPCC Programme, two buildings in Sisak are built through the POS Programme and one building in Novska is built through the interdepartmental cooperation programme. By now, 32 buildings have been completed and occupied, 25 buildings are under construction and two are in the preparatory phase.

Minister Bačić pointed out he is confident that by the end of next year, 57 multiapartment blocks will be completed and that all replacement family houses will either be finished or in final construction phases.

“I would like to take this opportunity to say that the majority of these housing units will benefit young people to start a family here, it will encourage them to come back and to stay in this beautiful city,” he said.

County Prefect Celjak shared this optimistic perspective regarding the future of the city and pointed out that construction sites across Petrinja are nearing their completion.

“Petrinja will soon regain its glory but with a new look. We are positive that Petrinja will soon experience a demand for real estate and that post-reconstruction Petrinja will keep up with the most beautiful small cities in Croatia,” he concluded.

A total of 3.98 million euro spent on post-earthquake reconstruction

In the Petrinja earthquake area, the reconstruction is completed at over 9,400 locations which include private buildings and houses and 332 EUSF projects. In total, 408 family houses are built, while 191 houses are under construction. The reconstruction is underway at 1,078 locations - 1,007 referring to private buildings and houses and 71 referring to reconstruction projects of public use buildings.

Since the beginning of reconstruction in the Zagreb and Petrinja earthquake areas, a total of 3.98 billion euro has been spent - 2.31 billion euro for Zagreb earthquake and 1.67 billion euro for Petrinja earthquake.

Taking into account both Petrinja and Zagreb earthquake-affected areas - the reconstruction is fully completed at 13,784 locations comprising 13,021 private buildings and 763 reconstruction projects of public use buildings and infrastructure. Reconstruction is currently underway at 1,807 locations.

News | Information