- Published: 22.03.2021.
Minister says organised reconstruction in Zagreb to start in June
(Hina, Nova TV) - Physical Planning and Construction Minister Darko Horvat said on Sunday, ahead of the first anniversary of the 22 March 2020 earthquake in Zagreb, that preparations for the process of reconstruction were underway and that organised reconstruction would start in June.
"The process has not come to a halt. It is complex and is proceeding slowly," the minister said in an interview with Nova TV, noting that buildings damaged in the earthquake had been prepared for demolition or reconstruction.
He noted that a delay was possible if problems occurred in the procurement and appeals procedures.
"But we plan to have concrete contracts and start with organised reconstruction in June," Horvat said.
He noted that the reconstruction process would be carried out by Croatian construction companies but that foreign ones could be hired as well, depending on the dynamic of obtaining the necessary funding.
Asked if the state would cover interest on loans to be taken by citizens for reconstruction costs, Horvat said that this was being discussed with banks and that it yet remained to be seen if the state would also take over the financing of a part of the loan principal.
He recalled that staff at his ministry could help citizens write requests for reconstruction and that those requests could be submitted by mail or through the e-obnova system.
Until all contracts for the entire job of reconstruction are signed, there will be no excavators in the streets, Horvat said.
"If we want to use money approved by the European Commission fairly and in line with strict EC rules, the procedure must be followed," he said.