Reconstruction of earthquake-damaged buildings in the area of Sisak-Moslavina County, Karlovac County and Zagreb County
Page updated on 2 August 2022
After on 29 October 2021 Parliament passed the amendments to the Reconstruction Act, by which reconstruction procedures in earthquake-affected areas were simplified, on 10 December 2021 the Government adopted a new Programme of Measures for the Reconstruction of Earthquake-Damaged Buildings, detailing the processing of submitted applications for reconstruction.
Act on Reconstruction of Earthquake-Damaged Buildings in the City of Zagreb, Krapina-Zagorje County, Zagreb County, Sisak-Moslavina County and Karlovac County (Official Gazette 102/20, 10/21, 117/21)
Programme of measures for the reconstruction of earthquake-damaged buildings in the City of Zagreb, Krapina-Zagorje County, Zagreb County, Sisak-Moslavina County and Karlovac County (Official Gazette 88/22)
Technical regulation for building structures (Official Gazette 17/17, 75/20, 7/22)
How to reconstruct and get allocation of funds?
Financial assistance for reconstruction may be requested before, during and after reconstruction completion
The appropriate application form may be downloaded below (Croatian only):
- Form 1 - Application for reconstruction of the building structure, or the complete reconstruction of an individually protected cultural asset (organised reconstruction)
- Form 2 - Application for removal of a building and construction of a replacement family house
- Form 3 – Application for financial assistance
- Form S – Application for housing provision
Applications shall be submitted to the Ministry of Physical Planning, Construction and State Assets in Zagreb, Ulica Republike Austrije 20:
- personally, in the registry office
- by recommended mail with the following indication: “Application — post-earthquake reconstruction”
- at the Reconstruction (“Obnova”) Information Centre, Ulica kneza Mislava 2 in Zagreb;
- in the displaced offices of the Ministry:
- Sisak: Ulica Ivana Meštrovića 28;
- Petrinja: Trg Stjepana Radića 8;
- Glina: Trg bana Josipa Jelačića 2;
- By using the application e-Obnova (https://eobnova.gov.hr) within the e-Građani (e-Citizens) system.
The time limit for submission of all applications is 31 December 2023.
Overview of reconstruction activities
- The Ministry has passed 59 decisions on structural reconstruction and construction of replacement buildings
- publication of a tender is currently under way for a contractor for works on 3 multi-apartment buildings in Glina with 57 apartments and 1 in Dvor with 19 apartments
- contracts were signed for the construction of 16 multi-apartment buildings with a total of 232 apartments (Petrinja - 8, Glina - 4, Topusko - 2, Gvozd - 2) in the amount of HRK 189,652,431.90 (HRK 237,065,539.88 with VAT included)
- works in the amount of HRK 9.537,608.00 (HRK 11.967,010.00 with VAT included) were contracted with in total 4 designers, 1 technical-financial controller, 2 auditors, 1 operational coordinator
- the programme for the removal and construction of replacement family houses includes 166 houses (Sisak-Moslavina County - 161, Zagreb County - 5), and currently 72 statements on the selection of a replacement/type house have been signed, as well as 66 bilateral contracts for the construction of a replacement house have been signed, and signing of 3 contracts on the construction of replacement houses is under way, whereas works are being carried out on 66 houses, and demolition of 5 houses is under preparation
- works in the amount of HRK 231,585,682.60 (HRK 289,482,103.25 with VAT included) have been contracted with 2 designers, 3 geo-mechanical engineers and 29 contractors
- construction of 312 houses has been contracted so far
- 8,342 applications for non-structural reconstruction have been received (Sisak-Moslavina County - 7,509, Karlovac County - 480, Zagreb County - 353)
- designers have been awarded 7,420 facilities for non-structural reconstruction, and 4,045 rehabilitation studies have been prepared
- there are 1,475 disputed facilities (354 major damages (for structural reconstruction), 250 no earthquake-caused damages, 871 other reasons)
- works are being carried out on 780 family houses
- works have been completed on 2,761 family houses
- within the framework of self-reconstruction, 901 houses have been reconstructed
- works in the total amount of HRK 211,696,537.00 (HRK 264,620,672.25 with VAT included) have been contracted, and to date HRK 91,593,264.34 have been realized (HRK 114,491,580.43 with VAT included), with average costs per family house amounting to HRK 35,305.61 (HRK 44,132.02 with VAT included)
- 589 objects have been removed
- in the area of the three affected counties, a total of 41,676 damage reports have been received so far, out of which 39,682 facilities have been inspected (95.21%)
- out of the total number of inspected facilities, for 4,833 facilities the category of red label (currently unusable) has been established, there are 8,626 facilities with yellow label (temporarily unusable), and 26,223 facilities with green label (usable with recommendation and usable)
- in relation to the entire territory of the Republic of Croatia, 52,030 damage reports have been received so far, and 49,897 facilities have been inspected (95.90%)
- out of the total number of inspected facilities, 5,342 facilities fall under the category of facilities with red label (currently unusable), there are 10,698 facilities with yellow label (temporarily unusable), and 33,857 facilities with green label (usable with recommendation and usable)
On the website of the Central State Office for Reconstruction and Housing Provision sduosz.gov.hr, a list of facilities that have been reconstructed to date is being published: Izvješća obnove (Reconstruction reports), whereas the Pregled aktivnosti obnove zgrada oštećenih u potresu na Banovini (Overview of reconstruction activities on earthquake-damaged buildings in the Banovina region) is available on the Civil Protection Headquarters website https://potresinfo.gov.hr/.
Do you have any questions or doubts related to the reconstruction procedure of buildings? Do you need professional assistance or legal advice? You can obtain information at the interdepartmental office in Petrinja, as wellas in the Ministry’s displaced offices in Sisak and Glina.
Additional information and assistance to citizens
The interdepartmental reconstruction office in Petrinja is located at: Trg Stjepana Radića 8. (phone: 044/555-292 and 044/555-298). In this office citizens can obtain all information related to reconstruction, file applications for reconstruction, as well as perform all other affairs related to reconstruction.
Employees of the Ministry are also at citizens’ disposal in the displaced offices in Sisak (Ulica Ivana Meštrovića 28) and in Glina (Trg bana Josipa Jelačića 2).
Information can be obtained by phone at 0800 0017 and by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Legal aid can be requested from the Law Clinic of the Faculty of Law in Zagreb by phone, every working day from 10 to 12 hours, and on Wednesdays and Thursdays also from 17 to 19 hours, at the phone number 097 6529 903.